Everyone is obsessing over Netflix’s Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. Based on the best selling book “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying”, it aims to help us get our lives organised. The show has done a great job of showing how Kondo’s systematic process can change people’s lives. We’ve been inspired big-time to clean out all our old clutter and surround ourselves with only items that bring us joy.
Are you feeling inspired to get organised but don’t know where to begin? We’ve taken some of Marie Kondo’s key points and broken them down into easy to follow steps. To get the tools needed to get organised we’ve turned to Bangor Main Street’s Søstrene Grene. They have everything you need for your life-changing tidy up, and a whole “New You”. Check out the pictures below for just a small selection of what’s in store.
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Tips & Tricks
- Do your cleanup “all at once” so you can experience the full effect of the change.
- There are two parts to tidying up: choosing what to discard and finding a place for everything.
- For choosing what to discard, hold each item you own in your hand. If you don’t feel a “spark of joy,” throw it away. The spark should come fast.
- Discarding unnecessary items and storing those you love properly is key. This will reduce your anxiety and help you focus on the important things in life.
- Tidy by category, not location. Do all the clothes, then all the books, then all the papers, then all the miscellaneous items. This may turn your home upside down initially, but the outcome will be worth it.
- Visualise the lifestyle you’ll have when you’re done and make some notes about it. Imagine only owning objects that you love - won’t that be nice?
- You have to do everything one by one - books come off the shelves, clothes off the hangers, photos out of the albums, etc.
- When you have reduced to the point that is right for you, “something will click” The days of unorganised clutter will be a thing of the past.
Where to put Everything
- Never pile things horizontally, always vertically. Yep, even clothes. Watch Marie Kondo’s clothes folding technique here. It’s like magic!
- Don’t think about storage until you’ve discarded. You can’t store your way out of clutter.
- Unpack and store clothes immediately when you get them.
- All items of a certain category must be in one specific place. For example, kitchenware must all be kept together.
- If you live with multiple people, you have to designate spaces for each person.
- Containers are essential!
- Have a box near the door and empty your bag in it every day when you get home. This stops new clutter building up.
- Try and keep all your storage boxes in your wardrobe or under your bed. Saving precious floor space.
- Keep things out of the bath, shower and kitchen sink. Bottles and products should be kept out of sight, and organised on a shelf or cupboard.
Make sure you pop into Sostrene Grene on Bangor Main Street to check out their gorgeous products and get everything you need for that life-changing tidy-up!